I’m ‘Enery the eighth I am, ‘Enery the Eighth I am, I am… no, wait, I’m really not. And I know you hear people say they hate being right all of the time, but you won’t hear that from me. I don’t mind so much. So here we go again already so soon.
In the news today: Another oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico has exploded. This one is 80 miles off the coast of Louisiana. No word yet on any leakage, but at least no one was killed. We’ll see how the story evolves over the next day or so.
I’m the guy who said we could expect more of this sort of thing, but I honestly didn’t expect to see another one so soon. Then again, it has been over four months since the Deepwater Horizon went to the briny deep. Desperation breeds adventure, it seems. Oil companies are willing to take the risk because they have little choice. If you want the oil, and they want to sell you that oil, they have to go where the oil is, and they’ve already been where most of the oil was. We’ve plucked the low-hanging fruit, and now we’re serious about trying to keep up appearances and keep the oil flowing — no matter what it takes, who gets hurt or how many fish get in the way. Drill, baby, drill!
In truth, if you looked at every oil well in the Gulf of Mexico, you’d probably find a lot of them leaking oil to one degree or another. Such is the unnatural nature of the business. But that ain’t news. The darned thing has to blow up to make it on TV. And you’d better believe this will be the lead story tonight.
So sit back, relax and get comfy. Here we go again. Second verse, same as the first. And I can’t help but wonder where Peter Noone is these days.
No comments:
Post a Comment