Monday, August 16, 2010

Independence From Oil

So I got asked to lead an “Independence From Oil” ride last Sunday. I could go into boring detail about how much oil it takes to actually build and operate a bicycle (more than you’d think), but hey, the gig landed me a spot on the local evening news Saturday night, so it wasn’t all bad. I was even the follow up to a story about the President taking a quick vacation on the Gulf coast. How cool is that? A bunch of people showed up the next morning for the ride, and we went from downtown Clearwater up to the front gate of Honeymoon Island State Park. Along the way I got to chat with Bill Hemme from St. Petersburg College. We talked about what it might take to form a bicycle club at the school. (I promised to go and talk to them about bicycling this fall.) Also got to see a couple of the guys I saw at the last local alley cat race (I knew I should have brought my fixie!) and overall, I think we had a good ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment